– I pursued acting from the age of 19 – 36 but the battle with my shyness in front of strangers was too much. People have a hard time believing that I’m shy but I have confidence and ego that covers it up. Many actors are shy (did you see Daniel Day Lewis accept his award for “Lincoln”) but pour themselves into a character, a script, a scenario, and it allows them to come alive.
– I co-created/produced “Under the Umbrella” Theatre Festival for 3 years from the age of 23-26 because I and some other friends did not accepted into the Toronto Fringe Festival. I believe in creating my own work if its not offered to me.
– In L.A. within 2 1/2 yrs, I booked roles on; Seinfeld, Frasier, Newsradio, The Larry Sanders Show, Married With Children and other less known TV shows. I auditioned for movies (Jodie Foster’s “Contact” and for guest starring roles on “Mad About You” and “3rd Rock From the Sun” and was brought in for pilots as a regular). However, I was very young and impatient and (stupidly) told myself that if I wasn’t a regular on a TV show by the time I was 30 that I was leaving L.A. LOL! I have walked away from a lot in my life because so many people over stay their welcome at the party…..and I never want to be that person.
– My strength and weakness in life has been just picking up and moving on. I have no problem doing that because I am so easily bored and very impatient. This is how I have met so many people; have many friends, acquaintances, and business contacts in so many cities. I don’t look at it as having lost out on a lot. This is how I’ve been able to adapt, be resilient & versatile, gain strength, learn about life and myself, challenge myself, stay interested and interesting, and so much more. Now that I am settling down, my life is starting to make sense and will pay off!
– I was in Special Event/Catering for 20 yrs to subsidize my income. I started as a driver, server, bartender and worked my up to Designer / Event Manager. In private homes, I’ve personally attended to: The Clintons (right before the Monica Lewinsky thing), Diana Ross, Michael Jackson, Elizabeth Taylor, one of the Producer’s of “Friends”, and The Eaton Family (The department store) plus many, many more. I have been in some of the most amazing homes, looked after VIPs at the Oscars & Grammys, etc, and have eaten the food of some of the most amazing chefs.
– Behind the scenes in TV & Film in L.A. I worked in script development for the company that made “Being John Malkovich” and for another producer who had a 5 picture deal with the Weinstein Brothers (FYI – I had to listen in on all the phone calls with them and take notes. WOW! Could I write a book just on that. Probably call it; “The Devil Wore a Tuxedo”). I was also a film production assistant, a segment producer (on a Dick Clark game show), and a line producer’s asst. (on an a reality show).
– I worked for a Producer who was stealing from the studio and I (secretly) blew the whistle…. and let’s just say that Producer had to move away to find work. But you know what, a lot of them steal (its called “creative accounting”). Its tough to tattle on people because you’re an accomplice and because you’re job pays so well and gets you things you wouldn’t get at any old job. But better not to get on someone’s bad side, because everyone has information on you and everyone else. LOL!
– My love affair with furniture and interiors and fabric started from as far back as I can remember. The first thing I made from a 25 lb block of clay that my parent’s bought me for Hannukah (along with a kid’s version of a potter’s wheel) was a sofa and ottoman. My mom still has it. And in nursery during Arts & Crafts I would make kitchen cupboards out of mini cereal boxes (the kind you get at free breakfasts at hotels that have the perforated lines that help to open the box from the middle). My mom couldn’t take me shopping because I touched everything I came in contact with (I guess like most kids). But it was the fabrics I loved most when she was shopping for clothes that I was in awe of. And that was the 70’s fabrics! LOLOLOL!
– I loved getting invited over to friends’ homes to play because I got to see how other people lived and how their mothers were all re-decorating (as there was a period in the 70’s that many moms did).
– When my mom re-decorated, I looked through every wallpaper book and loved the look and feel (and smell!) of every page. We had groovy, psychedelic, metallic, floral, shiny wallpaper in the kitchen and bathroom. And our bedrooms had wallpaper that matched the curtains in cool checks and plaids.
– Even though I have been in design professionally for the past 9 yrs. it has always been an innate part of me. My love affair with Art, Architecture, & Design starts from the very beginning of my life. This is why I love NYC and Boston and Europe. The Architecture and History of those places is incredible. I also love San Francisco, downtown L.A., and downtown Winnipeg for these same reasons.
– The soundtrack to my life would be a jazz score that melds into 60’s pop, rock, and psychedelia and then grooves into House/Soul/Tribal/Disco/Dance/Electronic music.
Even though I’ve said a lot here, I really haven’t said much at all. That memoir will be huge. LOL!